Academy History

Retford Oaks Academy enjoys a rich educational tradition and can trace its roots back over 200 years to the King Edward VI School on London Road, which opened its doors in 1857.

Retford Oaks High School was established in 2003 with the amalgamation of two local schools, King Edward VI School and Ordsall Hall School, utilising the existing two sites and merging students from the two schools together.

A new site was established and the school was built as part of a PFI contract. It opened its doors in September 2007, with an official formal opening taking place in October 2008 by HRH Duke of Kent. On the former Ordsall Hall site, a separate Post-16 Centre was built in September 2007.

The school officially became Retford Oaks Academy in September 2011 as part of the Diverse Academies Learning Partnership. The Academy now works in close collaboration with other Academies in the partnership to share best practice and deliver excellence in everything we do. It also works closely with other schools in the Bassetlaw area.

In this section